Sunday, February 22, 2009

Life is all about living

I stumbled across this old article I wrote back when I was a student and it was just what I needed.

When I hit nineteen, I decided it was time to grow up. It wasn’t a specific, premeditated move. It was simply the next logical thing to do, like licking your fingers after finishing a bag of chips.

Learn to ride a bike. Become a movie star. Make the school team. Finish high school with honors. Go far away from home. Get a girl. Get any girl. Join a band. Major in drinking. Accomplished or otherwise, one after another I had ticked these things off in my mental calendar when it was time for me to take the next step in the sequentially-tailored path I had laid out for myself.

Growing up was now the next task at hand and I was expected to undertake it with the kind of unquestioning devotion common among holy men. Growing up meant shaping up, so I dumped the beer bottles, shopped for a brand new attitude, picked up a couple of programming books, and mastered the art of staying awake in class.

Following the track I had engineered, my grades went up and I soon found myself slowly inching towards the goals I had stacked up in life. As the year dragged on, however, I also found that I had to surrender more and more of my time to remain on track. Skimboarding gave way to study sessions. Get togethers with friends had to be scrapped because I needed more time to work on my projects. Reason told me it was the mature thing to do and I foolishly nodded my head in agreement.

Everything that didn’t fit into the plan found their way into the fast-growing trash heap and soon, under reason’s dictates, I had thrown my life out the window. Daily activities took on a mechanical tone and my days were forever tinted in the same shade of grey. Retaining what was absolutely necessary; I only ate to keep the machinery going. Rationing my energy among things that contributed to my academic growth, I sometimes forgot to shower.

In retrospect, I realize that I was not unlike a sorry lump of metal, cold and distant, orbiting the Earth in mechanical resignation, bound only by the lonely tug of gravity. I had lost my hold on life. But then, deep in my folly, my mind was clouded from any such realization.

It took a visit home to jumpstart senses that had gone dormant from inactivity. Sitting at the family table enjoying warm chicken soup and an unhurried conversation, I came to the realization I had needed all along. Life was suddenly more of a concept to me than a reality. The actual process of living was pushed aside in favor of a mere concept, something I constructed, polished and turned around within my head. But this concept was as hollow as the words on a dissertation paper, for it lacked the warmth of life, and that was what I needed at the moment.

With the realization, I saw myself for what I was, a kid running in circles. I came to realize I had my head propped towards the sky unendingly, not wanting to miss the promised fireworks that would turn the horizon aglow in a shower of colors. But I was doing this in the middle of June and there would be no fireworks display for another six months. I was waiting in vain. Meanwhile, in all its subtle beauty, life paraded by, as I stood dumbly staring at a blank sky that was a reflection of what my life had become.

Like a kid who couldn’t wait to get to the kiss, I had traipsed over everything else in a hurry. Laugh over the movie. Enjoy the conversation you have over dinner. Feel her warm hand in yours when you go strolling. And when its time to seal the night with a kiss, enjoy the kiss. Don’t forget the little things, for these are what bind us to our humanity.

Rewiring myself to what I once held dear was easy. It was what I had been doing all my life. It was living. Growing up? I still hope to get my act together, and when I graduate I am still headed for New York. I still plan to start a family when I hit thirty. Nothing’s changed. Only this time I call it living.

Everything's easier said than done. Luckily, it's never too late to start living again. The last week was frantic, jumped on a plane to Diliman, read up on Algebra, Trigonometry, and Geometry, took the admission exam for ITTC, and I hope I get in, I hope I get in, I hope I get in (what's the tolerable number of times I get to repeat this phrase without sounding too desperate). If favorable winds pay me a visit, I guess I'll unfurl these old sails and set sail towards the fabled unknown one last time.

5 comments:

  1. this is really good man! more blogs please!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man, your blog is pretty cool too. Hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. boazzzz.... i hope i have a quarter of your dedication. deciding to grow up. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a substantial blog!!! :)

    as i keep reading notes on stacks.. i happened to go over your link and read this specific article. only this one article. otherwise, i might shed tears again if i fail your exam tomorrow(sigh!)

    cool. i am hoping to create my own website (just like this) in the near future. can you please re-post the phrase you uttered yesterday?? that learning is not just for a night(....)!!? haist! learning C is a totally new endeavor! as if, i could forget all my past achievements in life (hahaha! wink@!)!

    but, glad to meet you sir.. glad to have you for an instructor. your words.. and the way they are being uttered.. could inspire and definitely give hope.. to a weakening soul..

    ReplyDelete
  5. huy babz, kanindot ba dyud ani oy. chanced upon your blog while checking my FS in fear of loss of "baul" photos. shared this blog on my FB if you don't mind. i think we all gt lost in the act of getting "our act" together. trying to "grow up" the fastest way possible. this writing, such a breather. really timely for me these days. pag-gama na ug FB oy and do keep in touch. praying all is well with you sa work and studies. push on! ;p

    ReplyDelete